Whenever brands claim things like long-lasting, 24 hour staying power and such I always take it with a grain of salt due to the many years of unmet expectations and OTT claims that hold no good but this time Maybelline surprised me with the Superstay 24 Hour 2 Step Lipstick. I was able to try the shade 115 Forever Chestnut.
650 INR (for 2.3 ml of liquid lipstick + 1.8 gm lip balm)
- 24-hour lip color that stretches the limits of long-wear.
- The 2 way lipstick includes a liquid lip color on one end and a lip balm on the other.
- Formula with Micro-Flex looks & feels fabulous throughout the day.
- Available in a collection of new amped-up shades.
- Long-lasting lip color keeps lips looking and feeling freshly applied.
- Gives you high coverage without bleeding.
- Flex formula keeps the Lip color gorgeous for up to 24 hours.
- Glides on and looks gorgeous all day.
- No crumbling, no caking, no fading, no feathering, no transferring.
Forever Chestnut is a deep brown colour with a hint of mauve. It has some gold and bronze micro flex that catch the light in the tube but not so much on the lips, which for me is a good thing because otherwise that would be too much of a throw back to Rekha Ji’s makeup in Khoon Bhari Maang! It settles to give a semi matte finish after a while.
This is one of those lipsticks that will work if you will! There is a technique to apply this to get the maximum impact and staying power which takes some time to get used to and of course a precise hand is a must with dark shades like this one. The brand says that one should apply the liquid on bare lips and top it with the balm after drying. This is fine but to go close to 24 hour stay, I suggest you prep your lips with the balm first, after you are done with the rest of your makeup wipe up the excess and apply the liquid slowly and precisely. One pass gives good enough pigmentation in my opinion. Let it dry and dab with a clean tissue, over this top another layer of the balm – wait for a few minutes and dab one last time. This is definitely excessive but on the days you want it to last go for this method so that the pigment stays put for a good 8-10 hours without making the lips feel dry.
When the liquid lipstick is used by itself it will dry out the lips and eventually turn patchy so I recommend you spend some time prepping. I understand not everyone has the luxury of time but then like I said this one needs work!
- Good Pigmentation
- Stays long and doesn’t fade after a meal
- Stains the skin around if one is not precise.
- When worn by itself it settles into lines and feels very drying.
- Works well only on prepped lips.
It has good pigmentation and great staying capacity. I would recommend it to the folks who want to go long periods without touch ups and can spend time & effort to correctly apply this, otherwise it wont work and nobody likes patchy, peeling colour on their lips!
Check out some of the other liquid lipsticks I have tried here and here. If you are interested in more such Swatches, check out my Swatch Gallery here. Also connect with me on Instagram and lets discuss beauty!