The kind folks at Glamrada sent me a bunch of products to try from a new Indie Brand – Satliva. I am a great supporter of home-grown independent brands so I was happy to learn about Satliva and try out some of their offerings. I was in the market to get a new moisturizer so I was thrilled to try the Red Raspberry Face Cream.
Satliva is a brand specializing in Hemp Oil based products (Hemp has a notoriously popular cousin, I am sure you know – Marijuana!) Hemp Oil is known for its naturally preventive and curative qualities. It contains the essential fatty acids (EFA’s) Omega 3, 6 and 9, in the ratio very similar to Human DNA. It also contains 21 amino acids, including 9 essential amino acids, required by the human body.
I love to get an insight into how a brand originates and how ordinary folks like you and I take the big step towards entrepreneurship. So if this interests you check out the brand origins here.
20 grams for 750 INR
40 grams for 1250 INR
- UV-Protection and Radiant Skin.
- Made With Pure Hemp Seed Oil.
- 40 gm lasts up to 4 months.
- Offers moisturizing, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant benefits for your skin.
- Red Raspberry seed oil has anti-aging benefits of improving skin elasticity, while softening and smoothing the look of wrinkles.
- Geranium essential oil was used extensively by Ancient Egyptians for promoting beautiful and radiant skin. It has astringent properties, helps fade scars gradually, is a natural cleanser, ensures toned skin, corrects skin discoloration, reduces acne, and results in glowing skin.
- Adding to this is the amazing protective properties of Mango butter and Jojoba oil.
- Perfect for inhibiting UV damage and stimulating cell repair, it also seals in moisture and great for dry skin. The fragrance of this special blend of handpicked ingredients is a great mood elevator and stress reliever. This cream also heals insect bites and stops itching; use it on itchy or irritated spots for relief.
Hemp seed Oil, Mango Butter, Red Raspberry oil, Geranium essential oil, Jojoba Oil, Carrot seed oil and Tea tree oil.
Raspberry Seed Oil is a super star skin-care ingredient that has always intrigued me and I actively seek products like these which feature this right on top of their ingredient list. Below are the few of many good reasons why it is considered a great skin care ingredient.
- It is said to absorbs UVB and UVC and offers limited but natural protection from UVA.
- It has anti-inflammatory properties due to high content of alpha linolenic acid. (the highest in any fruit seed oil)
- Contains high amount of Vitamin E – an antioxidant. Antioxidants in skin care are important to prevent oxidative damage.
- Said to contain high levels of Phytosterols that help control trans-epidermal water loss, thus keeping skin moisturized and also help with eczema.
- Anti-aging benefits due to content of Ellegic acid– an antioxidant that is claimed to reduced the destruction of collagen and inflammatory response which are both major causes of wrinkles.
The product comes in a relatively simple and straightforward tin can packaging which has a screw type lid. It is plain and I am OK with it because indie brands often don’t have the luxury to spend tonnes on packaging. A product like this which contains ingredients that tend to melt could really do with an additional seal below the lid using a foil / cling film. This would especially help from it melting and leaking during shipping. I say this because by the time this reached me the product had leaked and the sticker on top (among other things) had soaked the oil.
Attributed to the ingredients the product is bound to melt if the temperature increases so its important that it is stored in a cool place. In a cool temperature the product is of a solid consistency and one is expected to scoop out some from the tin. I am not a fan of touching my skin care products and reducing the already low shelf life so I use a spatula and would also recommend this practice to everyone.
As soon as the product comes in contact with the body heat it starts to melt. I prefer to scoop out a little and then rub it between my fingers to completely melt it before applying. Unlike the body butter from the same brand I find this cream needs work to spread. It’s very easy to go overboard, since one feels that the little amount of product is not spreading enough and then end up looking greasy.
It has a strong fruity fragrance mixed which is a tad overwhelming for my preference. The scent lasts for a while and I guess after a while subsided; by then you get used to it so its noticed lesser.
I apply it in the morning before my sunscreen. It absorbs slowly into the skin which is a point of concerns as I am in a mad rush during the mornings. Once absorbed the skin feels hydrated but also slightly greasy. It does feel like a layer sitting on the screen till at least it gets absorbed after sometime. I also have to apply sunscreen on top, so both ends up becoming a little too much too soon! Due to this I have started using it at night.
I spend most of my day in a very dry, cold and centrally air-conditioned office, but despite the initial greasiness the product really helped in maintaining the hydration level through the day.
- Natural Product with a small & straightforward ingredient list.
- Low Shelf Life – i.e contains less or no preservatives.
- Not available easily offline.
- Packaging is prone to leak.
- Lacks slip & feels greasy initially.
If you have been following me you know I greatly appreciate simple and easily understandable ingredient list and in those regards this product is true to the brief. It also features some great ingredient that offer some serious skin care benefits. In short-term this has performed well. I wish in the future the brand tweaks the formula for it to feel less oily and absorb a little quicker.
If you are in the market for a natural face moisturizer I would encourage you to try this, especially if you have dry skin. Also let me know what are the other Indie brands you know and trust.
Find some other natural products I have tried from home-grown brands below.
- Royal Indulgence – Lodhradi Skin Repair Face Mask
- Juicy Chemistry – Red Raspberry & Spearmint Face Cream
- Kama Ayurveda – Pure Rosewater
- Soultree- Indian Rose & Vetiver Shower Gel